Skip to main content

Even the Weeds

Alive Youth Church Weekly,

A short and sweet blog for you this week.

A few months before my wife and I got married, I decided to spend a good chunk of money on some new house plants. Some pothos, a snake plant, a few succulents, a spider plant, I really went all out here. Even bought some new pots, good fertilizer, and a special watering supplement to keep them healthy. I did this so that we could have nice healthy plants to decorate our first apartment after our wedding. I still feel like this was a great idea and felt like I was scoring some big time fiancĂ© points. 

Right?

Here’s the truth. The plants never made it to the wedding day and definitely never made the move to the new apartment.

From lack of attention, little water or over watering (I’m still not sure), moving them outside for a bit because I was convinced they were attracting bugs, not the right amount of sunlight (too much, too little, again I’m still not sure). Whatever it was, the plants died. 

So trust me when I say that I’m no gardener. I’m not a plant guy.
But I do know this:

Every day, you’re watering something.

Your thoughts.
Your habits.
Your attention.

And whatever you water… it grows.

If you constantly feed comparison, insecurity will grow.
If you sit in fear, anxiety takes root.
If you pour into bad friendships, bad habits are created.
But when you choose to water truth and you go back to what God says, you start to see something different grow in your life.

“Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure…” - Philippians 4:8

What you focus on shapes you more than you realize.

You won’t accidentally drift into peace, confidence, or purpose. Those things grow when you intentionally return to truth again and again and again.

So today, ask yourself:
What am I watering?

What is your time, thoughts, actions, and conversations rooted in?

Because your future isn’t just something you step into…
it’s something you’re growing, one thought at a time. One act at a time.

Whatever you choose water grows. Even the weeds. 

Have a great week AYC! I will see you again on Sunday at 6:30PM! Watch what you water this week, never hesitate to reach out!

-Isaac Fehlen 
Youth Pastor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly, Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you.  False.  I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5.  Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness.  If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness ...