Skip to main content

ALIVE Youth Church is ALIVE in Christ

I said it on Sunday, but I'll say it again. Sunday nights are my favorite nights of the week!!

Two nights ago, 140 students and leaders gathered to worship, read scripture, and break into small groups to learn more about Jesus. We read Acts 9 together, the story of Saul's conversion. A powerful display of the gospel. What an honor to witness and be a part of it. Thank you students, for continuing to show up ready for what God is going to do. Thank you parents, for partnering with us. I am truly excited for what is happening in the life of our church, ministry, and city. This generation has its eyes set on things above (Colossians 3:2).

If you didn't hear already... Next week time change takes effect! Starting at 6:30! And we are starting on time. Students get ready for AYC Late-Nite starting at 8pm every Sunday night. A time for fun, food, and friends. Come at 6:30 ready for worship, message, and community groups. Stay after youth group ends at 8pm for AYC Late-Nite!! 


Alive in Christ

I had a few conversations with students this week, which have left me thinking. One student asked how we can have a youth group every day of the week, because school is too much sometimes, and once a week at church just isn't cutting it. Another student asked if we could have a midweek gathering, because they have too much to share and discuss when Sunday rolls around. Don't get me wrong, this is every youth pastor's dream, students want to be at church more and have too many questions and things to talk about! But these conversations this week have led me to a general thought: 

What is the purpose of our youth ministry?

It can be easy to get caught up in the fun, and we have a lot of fun.
Or caught up in creating a welcoming place that students want to be at. 
Or getting more students through the doors.
More midweek gatherings are awesome; we love small groups, fun events, and time together.

But are we missing something important if students aren't equipped to go out into their everyday lives?
We need to create a lasting relationship with Jesus, our savior, that isn't reliant upon group gatherings. Said differently, we can't have Sunday-to-Sunday faith; we need an everyday faith. My prayer for AYC is that it can be a place for students to experience Jesus and be equipped to have a lasting relationship with Him long after graduation, and a consistent relationship with Him through the week. A place for learning, questions, and growth, as we begin being bold for Christ outside the walls of the church on Sunday nights. We gather once a week, for a few hours at a time, it isn't enough to sustain you. Only Christ can sustain you. AYC and the leaders are there for you. But we will always point you towards Jesus and lead you in His direction.

Let's not just attend Alive Youth Church, let's live like we are ALIVE in Christ. Everyday. 

-Isaac Fehlen
Youth Pastor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly, Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you.  False.  I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5.  Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness.  If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness ...