Skip to main content

Beyond the Costumes

 Hello, Alive Youth Church!

Happy Tuesday, everyone! What an incredible night we shared this past Sunday. When the best night of the week gets even better, you know it’s because of our annual AYC Costume Party! Truly one of the highlights of the year for our ministry. 

Every year, I’m blown away by the creativity, group ideas, and the full-on commitment our students and leaders bring. Shout-out to some of my favorites: Phineas and Ferb, the group of grandmas, the “Fruits of the Spirit,” and, of course, the brave soul who came dressed as me! A few costumes still have me scratching my head, but that’s part of the fun.

The AYC Costume Party never disappoints, not just because of the laughs and the craziness of 100+ costumes jammed into a church, but because it’s another reminder that following Jesus is fun, and it’s even better when we do it together.

After a night like that, it’s easy to wake up the next day and think, “Well, back to normal.” The costumes go back in the closet, and the energy of the night fades a little. But here’s the truth: even when life gets quiet and routines settle in, God is still moving.

He doesn’t need flashing lights, crazy games, or a packed room to show up. He’s present in the ordinary moments too. In our conversations, in prayer, and in the small acts of faith that nobody else sees.

“For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” - Matthew 18:20

So don’t just look for God in the excitement, expect Him in the everyday. Because every time we gather, He is there. He’s working for His glory and for our good.

If I’m being honest, I have to catch myself sometimes. I get so focused on the event, what songs we’re singing, what game we’re playing, or what food we’ve got, that I can lose sight of why we’re really there. Maybe you’ve been there too. It’s easy to come into youth nights thinking, What am I going to get out of this? But something powerful happens when we come in with a different mindset, ready for what God wants to do in us and through us. 

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” - Romans 12:2 

When we shift our focus from consuming to contributing, from performing to being real, that’s when we start to see God move in new and life-changing ways. 

So here’s my challenge to you this week:

  • Instead of seeing what you can get out of our time together, see what you can offer.

  • Instead of trying to keep up appearances or “fake it till you make it,” show up honestly.

  • Instead of waiting for God to work through others for you, let Him work through you for others.

    “Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together... but encouraging one another.” - Hebrews 10:24–25 

When we show up ready, real, and expectant, there’s no telling what He’ll do next.

So keep that costume party joy alive, not just the fun and laughter, but the community, connection, and realness that makes Alive Youth Church what it is. We are a space for God to move in; we are a people for God to work through. And we do so together, supporting one another, and living in the joy that His presence brings. 

Remember that we dress in costumes once a year. Don't let costumes be an everyday thing. We sometimes pretend to have it all together, hide our struggles, or act like we don’t care when we really do. God sees beyond all of that, and we get to experience so much more of Him when our costumes are off. So as you head into your week, remember: you don’t have to wear a costume to be loved, accepted, or valued. For the rest of the year, let AYC be the one place you don't need to wear a costume.

See you next Sunday, Alive Youth Church. 6:30pm! 

Let’s keep showing up, staying real, and watching God move.

-Isaac Fehlen 

Youth Pastor

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly, Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you.  False.  I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5.  Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness.  If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness ...