Skip to main content

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly,

Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you. 

False. 

I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5. 

Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness. 

If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness can make you feel impactful and important, but it can cause you to lose track of investing in people. Don't let busyness be your distraction. Investment is long-term, but it compounds. Because of its slow nature, it can feel like a lack of progress, but don't let the need for speed scare you away from being intentional. 

Number 2: You don't need impressive, you need real. 

People can smell inauthenticity from a mile away. The more you try to perform, the less you'll like the results. In a time where we can barely tell what's real anymore, shout out to AI, it's more important than ever to be real and not only speak the truth but live the truth. So, although the urge will be to have the best games, the funnest personality, or the most impactful services, the reality is you are not responsible for saving others; God is. The other stuff is insufficient, and the best way to share Jesus with others is to be real about who you are and how Jesus saves you. You don't have to be Mr. Cool or Mrs. Always-happy to impact others. How you display the gospel and the love of Christ when things are difficult, when you're sad, lonely, and lacking, is just as if not more important than, when you are filled with Joy and a rock on attitude. Stop performing; people see through it, and it rarely works. 

Number 3: We all need Jesus. Not just who you are leading, but YOU. 

Students are in deep need of discipleship. The first step in that process is understanding that you can't disciple others if you aren't a disciple yourself first. Don't neglect your own relationship with Him for the effort of bringing others to Him. Seek first the kingdom, and all will be added. You will be much more effective at your goals and aspirations if you have a reliance on the almighty God. Seek Him first and always, and watch where it takes you and the people you reach. 

Number 4: It's hard work, but it's important work.

I've learned and grown a lot in the last year in ministry. If you aren't learning and relearning as you go, then you are doing something wrong. Ministry is hard, but it's needed. You'll get tired, frustrated, and at the end of your rope. And to that I say, what a great reason to be tired, and good thing we have a loving Father that knows our needs and provides. Keep up the good work and don't let hard work scare you away from doing it. It's ok for it to be difficult; not everything comes naturally.

Number 5: You don't know it all

When you are young and put into any position of leadership, the entitlement creeps in. You think it's your time to change everything everyone has done for the last 50 years. That you know better and can do better.  I am not advocating for everything to stay the same, but instead that young leaders still have a lot to learn from those who have done it before. There is wisdom to listen to. Young leaders need to be surrounded by those who have come before them. And seasoned leaders need to be ready to pass on their knowledge, understanding that sometimes change is needed, and to be the one to come alongside young leaders to help and guide. 


Know this: Regardless of your position or job, if you have Jesus in your heart, you are a leader. Called to lead and disciple others. I hope these 5 things help you in your own relationship with Jesus, and God's divine plan over your life centered on Him. May they lead to deeper relationships, more intentional discipleship, and less tiredness from the weight of leadership.

Students of West Salem Foursquare Church, 

You are loved and cared for. I pray each day for the leaders and students within our reach that we would keep Jesus at the center, deepening our relationship with Him, and create more mature disciples of Christ. As we continue to spread the good news of Jesus to your schools, families, friends, and our city, know that you are a leader! You are an important piece in God's great plan. It's not easy work, but it's important work, and we serve a good God who is right by our side through it all. 

I hope to see you when we gather, Sunday @ 6:30pm.

Get ready for Easter, April 5th!! We have 4 Sunday morning services, but no AYC on April 5th

It's truly a blessing to be together whenever and wherever it may be! 

-Isaac Fehlen 

Youth Pastor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...