Skip to main content

Fires Burning and Races Ran

Alive Youth Church students, leaders, parents, and friends,

    As we enter the midweek, let's take a moment to reflect on our time together on Sunday. One hundred fifty students and leaders gathered for worship, learning, and time in the presence of Jesus together. What a beautiful glimpse of heaven; I can imagine the Lord looking down and smiling as His children joyfully worship Him, have a passion for His teachings, and gather under the banner of Jesus. 

    Sunday night marked the first week of our brand new start time, 6:30 PM. For our amazing parents who wonder what exactly goes down on Sunday nights, and for any students who couldn’t make it, here’s a little recap: Starting off right away with an embarrassing dancing game. Like David danced before the Lord, except I really don't think David knew what a Nae Nae was. We moved into worship and a message on Acts 1:8, where Jesus tells us we’ll receive power from the Holy Spirit and be His witnesses. We unpacked what it actually means to be a witness in our everyday lives, not just talking about Jesus, but living like Him.

    Then it was time for community groups, smaller circles where students got to process, ask questions, and go deeper with their leaders and friends. These groups always wrap up around 8:00 PM, and that’s the official “you can head home now” moment.

    BUT... for those who aren’t quite ready to leave, that’s when AYC Late-Nite kicks in. A time for games, food, and a whole lot of fun time together. It’s casual, it’s fun, and it goes until about 8:45 PM. What an amazing night! I can't wait for another one. I've said many times already, Sunday nights are the best nights of the week. We've got great students, we've got great leaders, and oh, do we sure have a great God!

Fires Burning and Races Ran

    Something is happening in the hearts of students recently. I hope you see it too. Across our city, nation, and world, students are leading the charge in passion for Jesus. And I am constantly reminded how great our God is. And my prayer is that this ignition that we are witnessing would continue to spark, catch flame, and be a long-lasting fire with an impact that is far beyond what we could ever think or imagine. 

    Take a minute to pray today. Throughout history, we see examples of revival for Christ, many times with younger generations leading the way. I think of the Azuza Street Revival in the early 1900s and the Jesus People movement in the 1960s. Times when massive numbers of people meet Jesus and begin to live for Him. Revival can simply mean something is increasing in popularity; it often arrives and fades over time, similar to the fashion trends (thank goodness the skinny jeans are out!). But take a moment to pray today, that this would not be a short-lived fire; one that burns hot, but dies quick. We know that life with Jesus is a long-term relationship. One that requires consistency, hard work, and big faith.

    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." - 2 Timothy 4:7   

    Paul is writing to Timothy, telling him, "I didn't quit, I didn't run out of gas, I finished the race." We will see increased numbers, more and more people coming to Jesus, getting baptized, and beginning their race. Celebrate what God is doing; it is truly amazing. But be careful of distraction and getting caught up in the craziness of it all. The same God that is responsible for this amazing revival is the same God we serve tomorrow and the next day, and ten years down the line. Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." Let it be a continued reminder that we aren't sprinting here, even Usain Bolt would have a hard time with this race. This is a lifelong race. Let us fight the good fight, let us keep the faith, and finish the race.  

    Numbers are easy, depth is harder. 

    Starting is easy, finishing is harder.

    Take Jesus with you this week. Allow Him into your everyday life. Wherever you are in your race... let's finish strong and know you're not running alone. See you Sunday at 6:30pm!

-Isaac Fehlen          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly, Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you.  False.  I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5.  Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness.  If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness ...