Skip to main content

Polite Manners, Hallmark Cards, and Weapons

Alive Youth Church Weekly


Happy Thanksgiving week AYC!!


There is no better way to start this out than by saying…

I am so thankful for you. YOU. Not what you do, the things you accomplish or events you attend, for what you can say, be, or whatever else. I am truly thankful for YOU.

Let’s be a little more thankful for each other. Cause let’s just be honest here, we are all pretty cool.


AYC has been such a blessing the last few weeks. Students meeting Jesus, some for the first time. Tons of new faces showing up, real problems getting addressed, small groups flourishing, Jesus present through it all, fun had, food eaten, laughs laughed. Oh what a good time to be apart of Alive Youth Church. 

REMINDER: Enjoy your holiday week. No AYC Sunday November 31st! But told you worry, we are so back the following Sunday! Don’t miss it. 


As you go into the big week, here is what scripture says, and a few thoughts to go along with it.

“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

- 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Read that one more time. Take a closer look at the words Paul chooses. 

What’s wild is that Paul doesn’t say give thanks for ALL circumstances, he says IN them.

That means you don’t need a perfect family gathering, flawless conversations, or a drama-free dinner table to be grateful.

You’re not thankful because everything is good.

Don’t let your thankfulness rely on anything other than God. Cause everything else other than God will let you down. 

You’re thankful because God is good, and God is in everything.


Gratitude:

Gratitude isn’t just polite manners.

It’s not a warm feeling or a Hallmark card.

It’s a weapon.


When you choose thankfulness, you are:

  • Pushing back against anxiety.
  • Fighting the lie that you don’t have enough.
  • Declaring that God is active in your life right now.
  • Choosing joy even when you don’t feel it. 

Philippians 4:6–7 says it this way:

“Do not be anxious about anything… but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God… will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”


Your thanksgiving brings God’s peace, even when nothing around the table is peaceful.


Give yourself a few minutes to think. 

Clear distractions.

Ask yourself this:

What are you intentionally inviting into your life this week?

I understand the circumstances that often come with Thanksgiving. Some things truly are out of our control. But how we respond, and more importantly how we prepare our hearts is completely in our control. 


Choose gratitude. Invite in a thankful heart and mind.

And then watch as things go wrong around you, your response is better, you continue to love, you don’t lash out in anger, and your peace is untouched; provided and protected by Jesus. 

A grateful heart changes how we see things, changes our temperament, and most importantly, better displays the person of Jesus. 

Take Jesus with you this week. I’ll see you soon. 

Don’t hesitate to reach out. 

-Isaac Fehlen
Youth Pastor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do I Really Have to Care About This?

Alive Youth Church Weekly You all really brought it for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party. What a great way for AYC to close out the year! Remember, no AYC on December 21st or 28th I'll see you all again in 2026! Cue the "I haven't seen you all year" jokes... or even better, the "I haven't showered yet this year" ...don't be that guy. Alive Youth Church Weekly will continue to post every Tuesday, keep checking in to stay up to date and aware of what's going on in the heart of our ministry.   AYC loves you! Never hesitate to reach out. You can always get a response via our Instagram page, my email (Youth@wsfc.org), or through a leader. I'd love to hear from you! Some thoughts for this week: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” — Colossians 3:23–24 I’ve been thinking a...

Never Out of Season

Happy December, Alive Youth Church! Welcome to Alive Youth Church Weekly Thanksgiving has come and gone, and here we are saying goodbye to November and hello to December and Christmas. And for those of you who have been in Christmas mode since  right after Halloween … well, nothing has really changed for you. I can hardly believe we’re already wrapping up 2025. Is it just me, or are the months rushing past us? What even happened to the sunny months? Wasn’t  that just last week? Whoever decided to put the best holidays in the coldest season knew exactly  what they were doing. They basically said, “If people are going to be freezing, stuck indoors, and drenched in rain, we might as well stuff them with turkey, mashed potatoes, and give them gifts from an old guy with a white beard.” Honestly, genius. All that to say… It’s  December already, and that blows my mind. Because of Thanksgiving last week, we didn’t have AYC. I hope you didn’t miss us  too  much...

5 Things I've Learned in 24 Years

Alive Youth Church Weekly, Readers, I write this to you on my 24th birthday. I mention this because I expect texts, Instagram shoutouts, and fantastic gifts from every single one of you.  False.  I've learned that I actually greatly dislike celebrating my birthday and the attention that comes with it. But I tell you about my birthday because I want to share with you 5 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor. I would love to say 24 things I've learned as a 24-year-old youth pastor, but nobody wants to read that long of a blog, and I'm not completely sure I've learned that many things. At least not 24 things important enough to share. So I am sticking with 5.  Number 1: Busyness will mask itself as fruitfulness.  If you're busy, it does not always mean you are producing fruit. You can mark up your calendar and fill your entire day; you can have every meeting, plan an excessive amount, and go all out for every event and still not make disciples. Busyness ...